Is it time to search for a wedding photographer but you don’t know exactly where to start? A wedding photographer is one of the most important vendors on your wedding day. They create the photos that you will cherish for the rest of your lives. The ones that will be hung on your walls for years to come. You have to make sure that a photographer who you chose is qualified and is somebody who has a great personality that you can vibe with.
There are definitely a lot of questions to ask when attempting to hire any vendors, but especially a photographer. You want to ask a lot of in depth questions about them and their history as a photographer, but you also want to ask to see some of their previous work to ensure that what they tell you is actually true.
Here are some questions that you should be asking when looking to hire a photographer:
- Are you available on my wedding date?
- Will you be the only one shooting the wedding day or will you have an assistant?
- How many other weddings will you be shooting during that weekend?
- How long have you been a photographer?
- How long have you been shooting weddings?
- What is the largest size wedding you have ever shot?
- Have you ever shot a wedding at our ceremony or reception venue?
- Have you ever worked with any of our other vendors?
Photography Style Questions:
- How would you describe your photography style?
- Are you more of a fade into the background photographer or are you the large and in charge type?
- Do you shoot digitally or with film?
- Can we see a gallery of your most recent images?
Pricing & Package Questions:
- What is included in your standard package?
- Do you have multiple packages with extra add ons?
- Is it possible to personalize a package to fit my needs?
- Do include engagement photos or other pre-wedding event photos in your packaging?
- How many hours are included in your packaging and is it possible to purchase additional hours?
- What is your photo editing process?
- Do you charge a travel fee?
Prints and Albums Questions:
- Can we order prints or albums directly from you?
- Are albums or prints included in your packages?
- What is your lead time after the wedding?
- Will we have the image rights?
- Will the images be available online?
- When will we receive the contract?
- How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due?
- Do you accept payment installations?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Do you have liability insurance for your business?
- Do you have a plan B in case you aren’t able to shoot my wedding?
- How will you and your assistant be dressed?
- Can we request a list of specific shots we’d like?
- Will you be posting my wedding on your website or social media?
- Will you be submitting photos to any magazines or blogs?
When you can ask a potential photographer all of these questions and receive answers that fit your needs and a person that you are comfortable with, then it is time to book! You want to be sure to ask if your date is still available and if you can see the contract for review.
Reviewing a contract for any vendor can be extremely important! You want to ensure that everything you discussed is in writing and that there isn’t anything included that you did not discuss. Unfortunately, there are vendors who try to slip things in the contract that were never discussed. Most vendors are amazing and don’t do that but you always need to make sure!
Once you have reviewed and signed the contract (and most times pay the deposit) you now have a wedding photographer! Be sure to have meetings set up with them to discuss more details and if applicable, start making that list of shots you want them to take!
Friday: Wedding Bar Types
Tuesday: Rehearsal Dinners